- Personal belongings can be imported tax free on condition they are not to be sold or traded.
- While exporting things from Italy, there are no restrictions except for antiques and works of art which require the authorization.
- Only passport or ID card is required for EU citizens. Visa is not required for other countries (US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Israel, Switzerland and Japan) if citizens enter as tourists for up to three months of stay.
- Pets may enter in Italy if accompanied by their owner and have a European Community Veterinary Certificate.
- One can claim a refund for goods and tax paid for goods purchased in Italy.
- Credit cards are mostly accepted in Italy. ATMs can be found in all the cities. The monetary currency is Euro.
- Foreign currencies can be exchanged in banks, exchange offices, ATMs.
- Banks in Italy are generally open from Monday till Friday from 8:35 am to 1:35 pm and from 3:00 - 4:00 pm; and closed on Saturday, Sunday and on national holidays.
- The electrical current in Italy is AC - 50Hz 220 V. Plugs have round prongs, not flat, therefore an adapter plug is needed.
- Shops are generally open from 9 am to 1 pm and then from 3:30/4 pm to 7:30/ 8 pm, in large cities and tourist centers they are open from 9.30 am to 7.30 pm without breaks. Department stores are open from 9.30 am to 7.30 pm.
- In August, when most Italians take their vacations, many shops and offices are closed.
MORE ABOUT ITALY:
Italy is divided into 20 regions, each unique and interesting in its own way each offering a diversity of landscape, arts and surroundings.
Due to its geographical position, Italy has experienced many invasions and has been home to different civilizations; Greeks, Etruscans and Gauls.
The Italian cuisine is known worldwide and famous for its diversity, healthy balance, flavoured ingredients, always inspired to be more inventive in preparing meals.
Climate in Italy
Geographical position of Italy causes considerable weather differences between northern mountain region and plains in the south. Local weather conditions depend on altitude and coastal effects.
Culture and Events
Italian tradition and customs, influenced by other countries and civilizations on this territory contributed to cultural and historical heritage of Europe.
Italy is certainly one of the most attractive vacation countries, rich in history, culture, natural beauties and many tourist features.