Culture and Events
Italian tradition and customs, influenced by other countries and civilizations on this territory contributed to cultural and historical heritage of Europe. It has always been artistic and intellectual center that led to many great cultural achievements, specially art through works of Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Tintoretto, Caravaggio, Botticelli and many others with their masterpieces hidden in churches across the country. We must not forget achievements in literature, science and music as well.
Modern Italian language which was established through Dante Alighieri with his master-piece Divina Commedia, was means of expression for many literary figures: Boccaccio, Pirandello, Tasso, Leopardi, Ariosto, Machiavelli...
Science, on the other hand, resulted with prominent names; Galileo Galilei, Leonardo Da Vinci, Fermi, Volta, Meucci and others.
As to the music, it has always been important in Italian culture. Having provided foundations for classical music tradition, Italy gave birth to opera. Also, some instruments often associated to classical music were invented in Italy, such as piano and violin. The most famous composers: Palestrina, Monteverdi, Paganini, Vivaldi, Puccini...
When in Italy, one can attend many different cultural and historical events:
- Pre-Easter Carnival in Venice
- Holy Week Easter processions in Taranto, Chieti, Sicily and Florence
- Festivals honouring patron saints are particularly colourful events
- Festa di San Nicola in Bari and San Gennaro in Naples
- Festival of Snakes in Abruzzo (May)
- Festa of Sant'Antonio in Padua (June).
- Race of the Candles and Palio of the Crossbow in Gubbio (May)
- Sardinian Cavalcade (May)
- Regata of the Four Ancient Maritime Republics (which rotates between Pisa, Venice, Amalfi and Genoa, and is held in June)
- Il Palio in Siena (July & August)
- Venice's Historic Regatta (September)
MORE ABOUT ITALY:
Italy is divided into 20 regions, each unique and interesting in its own way each offering a diversity of landscape, arts and surroundings.
Due to its geographical position, Italy has experienced many invasions and has been home to different civilizations; Greeks, Etruscans and Gauls.
The Italian cuisine is known worldwide and famous for its diversity, healthy balance, flavoured ingredients, always inspired to be more inventive in preparing meals.
Climate in Italy
Geographical position of Italy causes considerable weather differences between northern mountain region and plains in the south. Local weather conditions depend on altitude and coastal effects.
Italy is certainly one of the most attractive vacation countries, rich in history, culture, natural beauties and many tourist features.
Some useful traveltips for traveling through Italy.